Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Box of Treasure..

There she lies in a box of treasure, waiting to be pieced together. 
I have sourced some interesting materials for my first project, inspired by a Spanish rag doll I was given as a child. Her beautiful face is delicately handpainted, and derives from an original 1920s boudoir bed doll. It is made of finely woven silk, as are her pretty eyelashes and perfectly coiled bun. Other materials I have gathered to reconstruct her include antique lace, a remnant of 1960s red & white polka dot material (which I will use to sew her a new flamenco dress), 1920s glass beaded fringing (probably originally from an old lampshade, and which I will use to trim her dress), a tortoiseshell hair ornament, and a red velvet vintage milliner's flower. I think I'll name her Milagros, after my Spanish grandmother whose wardrobe of dresses fascinated me as a child, and whose absence during my childhood both bewildered and fascinated me...Milagros means "miracle". It is taken from the title of the Virgin Mary, Nuestra Senora de los Milagros, which means "Our lady of the miracles".

A stitch in time...
An assortment of miniature porcelain art deco heads, sourced from America.